Red Lentil Soup with Turnips
makes 8 cups
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 celery stalks and their leaves, diced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 1 turnip, peeled and diced
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- coarse salt and pepper
- In a pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and celery. Cook, stirring, until tender, 6-8 minutes.
- Increase heat to high and add tomatoes. Cook for 1 minute. Add lentils, turnip, vegetable stock and water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until lentils are tender. About 20-25 minutes. Stir in parsley and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
I love lentil soup and was happy with this one, although I do think it needs a little more spice next time. Will definitely make again and I could see this being versatile with whatever root veggies you have available. Might throw some carrots in too next time. (add more water if you add extra veggies!)