New Year's Day Soup
Serves 8 (2 cups/serving)
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 large leek, quartered, white and light green parts chopped (2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 TB poultry seasoning
- 1 large bunch kale, stems removed, torn into 2 inch pieces
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 3/4 cup dried black eyed peas
- 1 quart low sodium vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup small pasta (bowties, fusilli, etc)
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add leek and saute 5-7 minutes, or until soft. Add garlic and poultry seasoning, saute 1 minute. Stir in kale, cook 5-7 minutes, until leaves are wilted, tossing occasionally.
- Add diced tomatoes, diced tomatoes with chiles, black eyed peas, vegetable broth, and 7 cups water. Season with salt and pepper. Cover, reduced heat to medium-low, and simmer for 40-45 minutes. Stir in pasta, and cook 7-10 minutes more, until pasta is al dente and black eyed peas are tender.
per serving: 161 calories, 6g protein, 4g fat, 27g carbs, 6g fiber, 5g sugar