Yet again I wasn’t fast enough to remember to take a photo – but I want to be sure to get this recipe down since it was so delish! I think I will always use this recipe to grill eggplant from now on, it was so good!
Grilled Eggplant Sandwich
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 orange or red bell peppers
- 2 small or 1 large onion
- Goat Cheese
- 1 1/2 TB olive oil
- 1 1/2 TB balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- baby spinach (or arugula)
- garlic salt
- nonstick spray
- 8 slices bread (I use High 5 whole grain from Great Harvest)
- Slice eggplant into 1/2” thick rounds. Spread on a platter/cutting board or covered surface. Sprinkle garlic salt on each piece. Walk away for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, grab a paper towel and wipe off the top of each slice of eggplant. What this does is the salt helps draw out the bitterness of the eggplant, but you want to wipe away all the liquid and salt that is on top of the slices before continuing.
- Mix up balsamic dressing – combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, italian seasoning and salt and pepper. Place in a medium bowl.
- Go turn on your grill, set it to medium-hot.
- Dredge each slice of eggplant in balsamic dressing mixture, tap to remove any excess and set on platter/baking sheet to take out to the grill.
- Prepare bell peppers. Slice off top and bottom, remove insides and cut each pepper into two halves. Dredge through balsamic dressing, tap off excess and set on platter.
- Peel and slice onions into large slices – run a metal skewer through each slice horizontally – should probably fit on two skewers. Spray onions with nonstick spray on each side. Set on platter.
- Take platter and bread slices out to grill.
- Place all veggies on the grill – grill approx 5-6 min each side for eggplant. Keep an eye on the peppers and onions. Remove from grill.
- Place bread slices on grill to toast, flip, then toast other side.
- Toss baby spinach with remaining balsamic dressing.
- Assemble sandwiches – Spread 1 TB pesto on 1 side of 4 slices of bread. Spread 1-2 TB goat cheese on 1 side of the other 4 slices of bread. On pesto side of each sandwich, layer two slices of eggplant, then slice of bell pepper, onion slices, then 2 more slices of eggplant. Top with baby spinach, then other slice of bread with goat cheese spread on it. Press down, slice in half and enjoy!
Thad also thought fresh tomato slices would be a nice addition – I was worried about the sandwich falling apart from being piled so high so did not include them. My plan was to serve a tomato and cucumber salad on the side. (of course I didn’t because I forgot I was going to do it until after the sandwiches were made and we were sitting down! Next time I’ll make that after Step 1 – perfect use of time).