I’m working today so need to pack a lunch – but we have no leftovers from dinner last night! A grilled veggie sandwich sounded good, and this bean spread would be perfect for it – and I’m sure it will make a great dip too!
I made it this morning – it’s delicious, although very garlicky and spicy so I think a little bit will go far on my sandwich (I am talking to people today after all!). This recipe is from Whole Foods.
Cannellini Bean Spread
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, more for drizzling
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 can cannellini beans
- Juice of 1 lemon or more to taste
- Pinch cayenne
- Sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in small pan. Add garlic and cook over low for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, add crushed red pepper and let sit for 30 minutes for flavors to meld.
- Remove garlic from oil (I used a small strainer) and combine garlic and beans in food processor or Vitamix. Process until smooth.
- With motor running, add in olive oil, lemon juice and cayenne. Add salt and pepper to taste and combine.
- Serve at room temperature, drizzled with olive oil.
4 servings per batch, each serving contains:
Per serving (about 4oz/119g-wt.): 260 calories (130 from fat), 15g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 8g protein, 25g total carbohydrate (10g dietary fiber, 0g sugar), 0mg cholesterol, 290mg sodium