Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The best laid plans . . .

I hope this doesn’t sound like I’m jaded or pessimistic – because I truly am not – in fact I would say I’m more positive today than I’ve been in years, more free and open to the possibilities of life than ever before. Life has taught me so much in my 30s and it was starkly clear to me today at work -- I actually had this moment of suddenly feeling older and wiser with so much clarity and peace. An extremely nice and happy young couple (newlyweds) in their 20s came in to view the model I was working at today. A new job for him, a new degree for her, a year of marriage under their belts and they are looking to plan the rest of their lives and  build their dream home on a beautiful private lake. They went on to tell me they want to have 4 or 5 kids and want this to be their last home! So much hope for what the future holds for them and so much fresh excitement – I couldn’t help being caught up in their happiness. I truly hope life brings them what they desire most. In my mind, I couldn’t help but think to myself that what they want most or place a high value on now is going to change. How can they plan their entire lives based on what they want at 25? I do think many of us at 25 thought we could too. At some point, your life experiences alter what fulfills your dreams and makes you happy. I’ve only really come to understand that for myself in the past couple years and there is an immense feeling of freedom in accepting that and being open to the possibilities of where our lives may take us. Now that is something to be excited about!

No comments:

Post a Comment