Spicy Caribbean Soup with Rice
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 TB olive oil
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground allspiace
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
4 cups chicken broth
4 cups cubed raw butternut squash (any type of winter squash could be used)
2 cups cooked chicken cubes (I used 1 1/2 chicken breasts, cut up and cooked in a nonstick pan before going in the soup, but last time I used leftover chicken from a rotisserie chicken)
3 cups cooked brown rice
cilantro for garnish (optional)
red pepper flakes for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Saute onions and garlic for a few minutes to soften
- Add bay leaf, pepper flakes, coriander, allspice, salt, black pepper and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer covered 10-15 minutes
- Add squash, simmer covered 10-15 minutes until squash is tender but still slightly firm. Remove bay leaf.
- Reserve 1 cup squash cubes. Puree remaining mixture (I put in my blender but if you have an immersion blender, go for it!).
- Return reserved squash and pureed mixture to pot. Stir in chicken and cook until thoroughly heated.
- Put 1/2 cup brown rice into each soup bowl and ladle soup on top of it. Garnish with cilantro and pepper flakes (optional).
Per serving: 288 calories, 6.5g fat, 35mg cholesterol, 179mg sodium, 40g carbs, 6.4g fiber, 18g protein