This soup had a Thai flavor with the ginger and creamy texture the almond butter gave, that Thad swore it had coconut milk in it. Nope! Great complex flavor and tons of good for you ingredients. This recipe I found on Whole Living and adapted it slightly.
Almond Chicken Soup
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup vegetable broth (I ran out of chicken broth so subbed this in for the rest of the chicken broth)
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 minced garlic clove
1 large sweet potato peeled and diced
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces (I cut mine still partially frozen, easier to work with!)
1/2 cup smooth almond butter
1 cup collard leaves, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger (do not substitute ginger powder, they are not the same. measure carefully as ginger can easily overwhelm if it is too much)
salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the broth, onion, garlic and sweet potato in a big pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer, add the chicken, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together the almond butter and 1/2 cup of the soup broth from the pot into a thick paste.
- Add the collard leaves and ginger to the soup and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the almond butter paste. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and squeeze with lime wedges.