The chicken with the sauce was 206 calories, 8.5g fat, 26.8g protein, 4.7g carbs, 273.3 mg sodium. The rice was 276 calories, 11.6g fat, 5g protein, 39.9g carbs, 134.2 mg sodium. A couple things I really like about this cookbook - in addition to complete nutrition information, it also lists the health benefits of each dish. The chicken dish is listed as: anti-cancer, heart healthy, boosts metabolism, improves mood, anti-inflammatory. The rice dish is listed as heart healthy, boosts metabolism, anti-inflammatory, improves digestion, healthy skin. I also like that the chicken recipe intro suggested making the rice recipe to go with it (I probably would not have known and would have just served plain rice). There's also helpful tips to help you time things to finish at the same time. Very well thought out cookbook!
Curried Chicken with Cilantro-Lime Sauce
1 TB virgin coconut oil
1 tsp red curry paste
4 (4-5oz) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 tsp honey
for Cilantro-Lime Sauce:
2 packed cups cilantro leaves
2 TB fresh lime juice
1 TB olive oil
1 tsp honey
1-2 tsp finely chopped green chile
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/2 tsp chopped fresh ginger
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp salt
- In a large skillet over med-low heat, add the oil and curry paste and heat, stirring, until combined.
- Add the chicken and cook for 2 minutes. Turn and cook for 1 minute.
- In a separate bowl, combine the chicken broth and the honey and stir to blend.
- Pour over the chicken and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked, about 15 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking,prepare the cilantro-lime sauce. In a blender, place the cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, honey, chile, garlic, ginger, garam masala, salt and 3 TB water. Puree until smooth, adding another TB of water if necessary.
- When the chicken is cooked, transfer to a plate and gently tent with foil to keep warm. Put the cilantro lime sauce in the pan and simmer until reduced and thickened. Return the chicken to the pan and flip each brest once or twice to coat with sauce. Spoon the remaining sauce over the chicken and serve.
Coconut Ginger Yellow Rice
1 tsp virgin coconut oil
1 shallot, chopped
1 tsp tumeric
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
3/4 cup coconut milk
thin quarter size slice of fresh ginger
1 cup long grain brown rice
4 lime wedges
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over low heat. Add the shallot, turmeric, salt and pepper. Cook stirring occasionally until the shallot begins to soften, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk, ginger and 1 1/4 cups water. Increase the heat to medium and bring to a boil. Stir in the rice and return to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 45-50 min. Remove the pan from the heat and let stand, covered for 5 minutes.
- Remove and discard the ginger and fluff with a fork just before serving. Garnish with lime wedges.