This recipe is from a new cookbook I got last week that I was really excited about. I have several meals planned for this week from this book and am now even looking more forward to trying them. It's Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients. I made just a couple small adjustments and made the recipe for 2 instead of 4, so here's my version:
Grown Up Egg Salad Sandwich
4 large hard cooked eggs
1 1/2 TB fat free ricotta cheese
1 1/2 TB plain 0% Greek yogurt
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp finely chopped green onion (green parts only)
salt and pepper
yellow mustard to taste
1 cup watercress, thick stems removed
4 slices whole grain bread (favorite is Great Harvest bread - can't get enough of it! I think it was their 9 Grain bread I used today)
- While eggs are cooking, combine ricotta, yogurt, dijon, green onion & 1/4 tsp salt in a bowl and season with salt.
- Peel eggs, cut in half and remove yolks. Crumble yolks into bowl. Finely chop egg whites and add to bowl.
- Gently stir to combine.
- Toast your bread in a toaster or oven. I sprayed mine lightly with cooking spray and 'toasted' in the oven at 350 for 4 minutes each side.
- Spread egg salad evenly on two pieces of bread. I then squirted a little yellow mustard on each sandwich because we like the tangy-ness of it, you could certainly leave out this addition.
- Arrange watercress on top of egg salad, dividing evenly. Top with other piece of bread, press down lightly, cut and serve.
without bread, per serving: 180 calories, 10.8 g fat (3.3 saturated, 1.5 polyunsaturated, 4.2 monounsaturated), 426mg cholesterol, 268mg sodium, 3.5g carbs (.3g fiber, 1.1g sugars), 15.8g protein
with Great Harvest 9 Grain bread, per serving total: 440 calories, 11.8g fat (3.3g saturated, 1.5g polyunsaturated, 4.2 monounsaturated), 426mg cholesterol, 808mg sodium, 55.5g carbs (8.3g fiber, 11.1g sugars), 25.8g protein