Thursday, March 3, 2011

Spicy Fire Roasted Tomato, Kale & Bean Soup

I had some kale to use so went searching for a new recipe. I came across a Vegetarian Tuscan Kale and White Bean Soup recipe on Whole Foods' website, read a bunch of the comments about it, and made it my own. Loved it and am excited to have leftovers again today for lunch. This recipe turned out very hearty and is easily adaptable to what you might have on hand or want to use up.

Spicy Fire Roasted Tomato, Kale & Bean Soup
serves 6-8

Ingredients:
  • 2 TB extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 large yellow onion diced
  • 4 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped (instead I used some leftover roasted garlic I had this time)
  • 48 ounces chicken or vegetable broth (I used a mix - 1 whole box vegetable broth and 1/2 box chicken broth I had open in the fridge)
  • 1 large bunch curly kale chopped
  • 1 28 ounce can of fire roasted diced tomatoes (love Muir Glen's)
  • 1 14.5 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 14.5 ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked wheatberries (any small grain would work, I had this already cooked in the freezer)
  • 3 large carrots peeled and sliced
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 TB italian seasoning
  • 1 tsp dried thyme (plus I had a little fresh thyme left to use up and threw that in too)
  • parmesan rind (optional- I had one in the freezer leftover from a block of parmesan, threw this in for extra flavor and then removed it before serving)
Directions:
In a large pot heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes longer. Add broth, kale, tomatoes and carrots. Add thyme, italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, parmesan rind. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until kale is tender. Add beans and cooked wheatberries and heat thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove parmesan rind. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment