- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced large
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 to 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 4 large carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces (I used 6 small red potatoes instead)
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 small eggplants cut into 1 inch pieces (I used one medium one)
- 1 can (15.5oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- cooked couscous (optional) for serving
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 5 minutes. Add cumin, cinnamon, coriander, cayenne, and allspice and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add carots, potatoes and squash and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until beginning to brown, 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and broth (veggies should be completely covered by liquid, add water if necessary). Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook, uncovered for 20 min.
- Add eggplant, stir to combine, and simmer until tender, 20 minutes. Stir in chickpeas, season to taste with salt and pepper, and cook until chickpeas are warmed through, 5 minutes. Serve stew with couscous if desired. To store, cook then refrigerate for 1 week, or freeze for 3 months.
212 calories, 3g fat, 6g protein, 44g carb, 9g fiber