Kale & Veggie Lasagna
- Large bunch of kale, stems removed
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups sliced baby portabella mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped zucchini/summer squash
- 1/2 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 TB canola oil
- 1/2 tsp italian seasonings
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 3 cups light cottage cheese, drained
- 1 cup light ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 cups shredded part skim mozarella cheese
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 12 no boil lasagna noodles (or 1/2 package)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add kale and boil for 2 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Squeeze out as much excess liquid as you can, use a kitchen towel. Season with salt and pepper, set aside.
- Saute veggies in a nonstick skillet over medium heat with 1 TB canola oil. (start with onions, add mushrooms, then zucchini.
- For tomato sauce: Combine the olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes and 1/2 tsp kosher salt in a cold saucepan. Heat over medium high, stirring frequently, 2-3 minutes. Mix in the crushed tomatoes, italian seasonings, oregano. Reduce heat and let simmer 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
- For cheese mixture: Strain all liquid out of cottage cheese with mesh strainer. Combine with ricotta, 1/2 cup parmesan, 1 1/2 cups mozzarella, 1/2 tsp salt and 3/4 pepper. (next time if I have some fresh parsley, i'll chop some up and add in with the cheese as well). NOTE: set aside 1/2 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup parmesan to use on top of lasagna.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Assemble lasagna in a 9x13 pan. Start with a thin layer of sauce, then a layer of noodles, half the cheese mixture, half the kale, half the baby spinach, half the veggies, half the remaining sauce. Add another layer of noodles, then the rest of the cheese mixture, the remaining kale, baby spinach and veggies. Top with the remaining noodles, then remaining sauce. Sprinkle the final 1/2 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup Parmesan that was set aside.
- Bake for 40 minutes until bubbly and browned. (mine did get a little overdone at 45 minutes, so I put down 40 for the recipe - pay closer attention to your oven than I did!). Let stand at least 10 minutes before cutting into 8 generous slices and serving.
430 calories, 17.5g fat, 44g cholesterol, 1200mg sodium, 542mg potassium, 38g carbs, 5.3g fiber, 30g protein.