Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Mediteranean Goat Cheese Veggie Sandwiches

For lunch yesterday I started with a recipe from Cooking Light, May 1998 and went from there using what I had in my fridge. Loved this sandwich and wanted to document it here so I can be sure to make it again (well and so I don't get accused of never repeating a recipe!).

Mediterranean Goat Cheese Veggie Sandwiches
serves 2

Ingredients:
  • 2 ciabatta or panini rolls, sliced in half
  • 1 ounce goat cheese
  • 1/2 TB kalamata olive paste
  • 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves
  • 1/3 of a red or white onion, sliced in thin rings (I used a mandolin)
  • 1 roma tomato sliced
  • 1/2 small eggplant sliced
  • 3 basil leaves, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 tsp capers, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 tsp olive oil
  • fresh ground pepper to taste
  • garlic salt

Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 375. Slice eggplant and tomato and arrange on baking pan (spray first if necessary) (I use my Pampered Chef bar pan or baking stone). Sprinkle garlic salt on top. Put in oven when heated and bake for about 10 minutes until eggplant is cooked - keep an eye on it because the time will vary depending on how thick your slices are.
  2. I like my rolls toasted a bit so after slicing I spray with canola oil spray and heat each side on a griddle on medium heat on the stove.
  3. In small nonstick pan, spray with canola oil spray, heat to medium and lightly cook onion rings to just tender.
  4. Spread goat cheese evenly over cut side of bottom half of rolls. Spread olive paste evenly over goat cheese.
  5. Arrange spinach on top of goat cheese and olive paste. Then layer eggplant slices, roasted tomato slices, basil, and chopped capers. Drizzle with vinegar and olive oil. Sprinkle fresh ground pepper. Cut into wedges and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment