Another new recipe from Moosewood Restaurant Cooking For Health, another winner! A hearty vegetarian soup, or vegan if you leave out the parmesan on top. Get chopping and prep everything...
Tuscan Harvest Soup
serves 4-6 (makes about 10 cups)
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 TB olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp ground fennel seeds
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 2 ribs of celery)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carots (about 4 large carrots)
- 1 cup chopped fennel bulb (about 1/2 fennel bulb)
- 2 cups chopped green cabbage (about 1/2 cabbage)
- 2 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 15oz can cannellini beans, drained
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 TB minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup finely shopped fennel leaves OR italian parsley
- 3 TB lemon juice
- 1 slice whole grain bread for each serving
- extra virgin olive oil (to drizzle)
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- chopped fresh tomatoes for garnish
- In a covered soup pot on medium-low heat, cook the onions and salt in the olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ground fennel, and celery and cook for about 3 minutes. Stir in the carrots and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the chopped fennel bulb and cabbage, and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the squash, vegetable broth, and water. Bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the squash softens but does not fall apart, 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a blender, puree 1 cup of the beans with 1 cup of the soup. Stir the puree into the soup pot. Add the remaining beans and the black pepper, thyme, and fennel leaves/parsley. Simmer covered for at least 10 minutes until all of the vegetables are tender and the flavors have melded.
- Just before serving, stir in the lemon juice and toast the bread. To serve, place a slice of toast in each soup bowl and drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil. Ladle the soup over the bread and drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil on top.
- Top each bowl with fresh chopped tomatoes and or shredded Parmesan cheese.
per 1 cup: 152 calories, 5g protein, 26g carbs, 6g fiber, 4g fat, 536g sodium