Thursday, December 2, 2010

Candy Cane Kiss Cookies

And so the baking begins!

Yes, I know I said I was going to seek out healthier treats to bake this year. And I will. But not all the time. :)

I saw these featured in Fine Cooking's email the other day and when I saw the Candy Cane Hershey's Kisses on sale at CVS today and thought of these cookies, I knew it was meant to be.

My friend Vern also needed some treats to take to her church's Advent Tea tomorrow night and so I told her I'd bake her up some of these to wow the ladies with.

Now first of all, I'd never tried these kisses before. Yum! Combined with a chocolate cookie that is both crispy and chewy at the same time and I'm in love. I confess, I've had 2 of them tonight. Actually, I guess I should be proud of myself that it was ONLY 2! (okay, I also had 3 kisses by themselves while I was baking). I ran across a blog tonight where she talked about eating treats and still fitting into her skinny jeans in December - basically skimping on calories at meals to allow more 'treat' calories. Good in theory, but I don't think it's something I could do often.

Anyway, back to these delicious cookies. They were from a blog called Our Best Bites. I did not use shortening though, I used only regular unsalted butter. I didn't have dark chocolate chips but had semi-sweet so used those, and I only had about 1/2 tsp of mint extract left but I threw it in anyway since it was an optional ingredient. I think the full 1 1/2 would really gift the chocolate a minty taste, mine just have a hint. I used my Pampered Chef small cookie scoop to measure them out, and in my oven they were perfect at 8 1/2 minutes.

5 comments:

  1. Those look awesome! If they taste as good as they look, I would be in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look yummy, Jackie. I wonder if you could possibly be convinced to share some of your blog links etc? Oh - I'll drop you an email since I have more questions. Hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking at this recipe yesterday, but I don't have the shortening so I wasn't going to make them. You used 1 cup total of the unsalted butter? I think I might have to make a trip to get the kisses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, I don't like using shortening, so I substituted all butter. 2 whole sticks! eek! Trust me, it's worth the trip to the store :)

    using the small scoop it did make about 70 cookies, so I'd get two bags!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cecilie - just let me know which type of blog links you're interested in - i have a ton on my Google reader and I'm sure I could figure out a way to email you the list :) And of course, never mind questions, I always enjoy a chance to chat with you!

    ReplyDelete