We had my parents and my aunt over yesterday for dinner - it's become a Sunday night tradition. This cake combined with Guernsey Ice Cream's Moose Tracks made for a decadent dessert (and perhaps a sugar coma!). I sent them home with the other half of the cake, but I do look forward to the next holiday and making it again!
Best Chocolate Cake EVER
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup milk (I use almond milk, but regular would of course be fine)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot, brewed coffee
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 325
- In a large bowl of electric mixer sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder.
- Add oil, milk, vanilla, coffee, and eggs. Beat well. Batter will be thin.
- Pour into 2 9-inch round greased and floured pans. (I use a baking spray that has flour in it)
- Bake at 325 for 25-30 minutes or until top springs back when done. Cool on wire rack.
The next day I made the frosting and frosted the cake. This helped reduce the crumbs I had to deal with greatly!
I used Wilton's buttercream icing recipe (doubled it) and added in some pink food coloring for Valentine's Day. I did have some leftover icing, but had I made 1 batch I would not have had enough to frost 4 layers.
Okay, maybe not the healthiest dessert - I don't think the canola oil and almond milk really lend that much healthy-ness to it - but it was delicious for a special treat!