Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine Cake

I made this chocolate cake recipe a few weeks ago and we all declared it the best chocolate cake ever. I vowed to make it again for Valentine's Day. This time I even got out the food color and made a pink cake! I will never be the talented cake decorator that my sister in law is, but I was pretty happy with how this turned out and how yummy it was!

We had my parents and my aunt over yesterday for dinner - it's become a Sunday night tradition. This cake combined with Guernsey Ice Cream's Moose Tracks made for a decadent dessert (and perhaps a sugar coma!). I sent them home with the other half of the cake, but I do look forward to the next holiday and making it again!


Best Chocolate Cake EVER
serves 12-16


Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 cup milk (I use almond milk, but regular would of course be fine)
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup hot, brewed coffee
  • 2 eggs
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325
  2. In a large bowl of electric mixer sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder.
  3. Add oil, milk, vanilla, coffee, and eggs. Beat well. Batter will be thin. 
  4. Pour into 2 9-inch round greased and floured pans. (I use a baking spray that has flour in it)
  5. Bake at 325 for 25-30 minutes or until top springs back when done. Cool on wire rack.
After the cakes cooled, I sliced each layer horizontally to make 4 layers, then wrapped each layer in plastic wrap and stuck in the freezer.

The next day I made the frosting and frosted the cake. This helped reduce the crumbs I had to deal with greatly!

I used Wilton's buttercream icing recipe (doubled it) and added in some pink food coloring for Valentine's Day. I did have some leftover icing, but had I made 1 batch I would not have had enough to frost 4 layers.

Okay, maybe not the healthiest dessert - I don't think the canola oil and almond milk really lend that much healthy-ness to it - but it was delicious for a special treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment