This recipe came from a blog I found after searching on Tastespotting, then I added a few things and suddenly it's a new dish. What I really enjoyed is that the spinach just wilts, the feta melts, and the pasta gets a little crunch to it. Here's my version:
Steak & Spinach Pasta
1 1lb box of whole grain rotini pasta
1 lb flank steak
1 large red onion, roughly chopped
1 cup artichoke hearts
6 cups baby spinach
olive oil to drizzle, plus 1/2 TB
8 oz feta cheese
8 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp Spike Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 450. Season steak with salt and pepper on both sides. Place the steak on a baking pan (I use my Pampered Chef bar pan) and surround it with chopped onion.
- Cook steak until medium-rare to medium, 8 minutes each side. Remove steak and let it rest for 5 minutes. Slice thinly.
- Reduce heat to 375.
- While steak is cooking, boil pasta until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta cooking water, then drain.
- In a non-stick pain, heat up 1/2 TB olive oil. Toss in mushrooms and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Combine the pasta with the steak, onions, artichokes, feta, spinach, mushrooms, and pasta water. Season with thyme, rosemary, Spike Seasoning and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Spread in a large casserole/baking dish (I had to use two). Drizzle olive oil across the top (about 2 TB). Bake 20 minutes until top is slightly brown.
420 calories, 17.5g fat, 48g cholesterol, 654mg sodium, 361.9mg potassium, 42.1g carbs, 6.4g fiber, 2.2g sugars, 24.5g protein.