Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Butternut Squash Enchiladas

A beautiful butternut squash was just sitting on a shelf in my pantry begging to be used for dinner. I saw a recipe recently on a blog for squash enchiladas so decided to create my version of them using mostly what we had at home (I did have to stop and get a jar of salsa verde though). Verdict = Thad told me I could go up against Pilar's (a local Ann Arbor tamale restaurant - she cooks delicious interesting variations of tamales using local organic sources for ingredients). Okay, he might be biased being married to me, but these were pretty awesome, and I'll take the compliment!

Butternut Squash Enchiladas
serves 6

Ingredients:
1 onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 TB olive oil or canola oil
1 medium butternut squash
6 burrito size flour tortillas
1/2 cup chipotle salsa (or I'm sure any salsa would work, but that's what I had 1/2 a jar of in the fridge!)
1 cup frozen corn
1 jar salsa verde
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp nutmeg
6 oz low fat ricotta
1/2 cup shredded cheddar (or mexican cheese)
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425. Cut squash in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds. Spray a baking sheet (I use my Pampered Chef bar pan) with nonstick spray, place squash, cut side down, on sheet and bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven, let it cool.
  2. Heat oil in a skillet, add onions. Saute for 3-5 minutes until softened. Add minced garlic, stir for about 30 seconds and remove from heat.
  3. Scoop out squash into a large bowl and mash with a fork so that it's smooth (but no need to whisk it to be creamy, just get out any chunks). 
  4. Mix in the onion/garlic mixture, 1/2 cup chipotle salsa, corn, cumin, nutmeg, ricotta, salt and pepper. Stir to combine well.
  5. Prepare a casserole dish with 1/4 cup of salsa verde spread on the bottom.
  6. Warm up tortillas (I microwave for 30 seconds)
  7. Spread 3/4 cup of the mixture onto each tortilla, roll up and place seam down in casserole dish.
  8. Pour the rest of the jar of salsa verde over the top of the tortillas. Using the back of a spoon spread it around to cover evenly. 
  9. Sprinkle shredded cheese over the top of the enchiladas.
  10. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (or 425 degrees for 15 minutes).
Nutrition:
per serving: 326 calories, 9.4g fat, 19mg cholesterol, 821mg salt, 520mg potassium, 51g carbs, 6g fiber, 3g sugar, 12g protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment