Thursday, September 9, 2010

mmm! grilled veggie sandwich!

I thought about taking a photo  . . . about the same time I was taking my last bite!

Just the same, I thought I'd share the recipe for the delicious grilled veggie sandwich I made us for lunch today, because it was so good, I can't keep it to myself.

For 3 sandwiches:

1 eggplant (I had a Puerto Rican eggplant I got at the Farmer's Market yesterday - it's a lighter purple)
2 sweet peppers (I used a long yellow one and a reddish/green one
2 small red onions
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
sliced red heirloom tomato
whole grain/full-of-seed-goodness bread (from Great Harvest Bread Co)
olive oil
oregano
fresh ground pepper
fine sea salt
garlic salt
canola oil spray

Here's what I did:
Sliced eggplant into about 15 slices, about 1/4 inch thick
Cut off ends and cored peppers, cut each in half lengthwise
Cut onions in half and thread onto skewer
spray all of these with canola oil spray (or you could brush with canola or olive oil)
sprinkle garlic salt on the eggplant slices (then let sit for 5-10 min, helps draw out bitterness)
spray or brush with oil all slices of bread, both sides
Heat up grill, grill the eggplant, peppers and onion, then grilled both sides of the bread
Now assemble: Brush olive oil on one side of each slice. On one side put the feta cheese and a slice of tomato. On the other side put 4-5 slices of eggplant, then peppers, then onions. Sprinkle oregano, salt and fresh ground pepper on top of the tomato side. Then combine the sides together, pat sandwich down and cut in half and enjoy!

note: we also had a small amount of grilled chicken leftover, so I sliced it up, heated it, and added a little bit to each sandwich with the feta - however I don't think it would be missed at all!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good, except for some reason I only like eggplant when I make it as a chutney (it gets grinded to like a puree).

    ReplyDelete