Thursday, April 5, 2012

Grapefruit Avocado Spinach Salad

So it all started with half an avocado. That's how many of my lunches begin - with one ingredient! I have been using grapefruits this week in my smoothies and doing a quick search online, saw grapefruit and avocado combined in several recipes. And so, at 10pm last night, today's lunch was born! 

Grapefruit Avocado Spinach Salad
serves 1

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 pink grapefruit, sectioned, each section cut in half
  • 1/2 small avocado, diced
  • 1/2 shallot, sliced thinly
  • 3 cups baby spinach (or however much you'd like)
  • 1/2 TB pepitas
  • 1/2 TB pine nuts (toasted if you have time, I didn't)
  • 1/4 cup cooked quinoa
Dressing ingredients: 
  • 1/2 TB extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 TB juice from pink grapefruit
  • 1 tsp honey
  • fresh ground salt and pepper


Nutrition:
355calories, 18.5gfat (2.2 saturated, 3.4 polyunsaturated, 10.2 monounsaturated), 83.4mg sodium, 526.8mg potassium, 44.5g carbs, 8.6g fiber, 8.8g sugar, 7.8g protein.

high in vitamin A, C, manganese, iron, phosphorus, riboflavin

note: measure out your nuts! they add up quickly. 

2 comments:

  1. I don't like grapefruit but I think I love enough of the other things in this salad to make it worth it! thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not always been a grapefruit fan, but the pink grapefruits are a bit sweeter and are in season. the honey in the dressing really offsets it - you may be surprised!

    ReplyDelete