Saturday, October 1, 2011

Zucchini Basil Soup

3 sad looking zucchini stared up at me when I opened the fridge this morning to figure out what to make for lunch. They had to be used today! I’ve been very much in a soup mood, so I went searching for some zucchini soup recipes. Found a few and came up with my own. I was a little nervous, but thrilled it turned out so yummy. It made two generous servings for lunch.


Zucchini Basil Soup
Ingredients:
  • 3 medium zucchini, chopped (about 1 1/4lb)
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 large garlic clove, chopped
  • 1/3 cup basil, chopped
  • 3 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 TB olive oil
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1 TB lemon juice
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1/2 cup milk (I used coconut milk)
  • salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. In a heavy saucepan heat oil over med-low. Saute onion until translucent, about 8 minutes.
  2. Add chopped zucchini, garlic, salt, pepper, bay leaf, thyme. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Add wine and lemon juice, cover the pot and cook for 5 more minutes.
  4. Add vegetable broth, salt and pepper to taste and simmer partially covered until tender, about 10 minutes.
  5. Remove thyme stems. Pour soup into blender along with chopped basil and add milk slowly. Puree and adjust seasoning if needed. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment