Yellow Split Pea Soup with Mushrooms
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 3 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 TB canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 8 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 1 cup kale, chopped and steamed
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- In a medium sauce pan, bring split peas, water, bay leaves and paprika to a boil. Reduce and simmer for 1 hour, until peas break apart.
- About 30 minutes after you get the peas on the stove, chop the veggies. Then, in a large sauce pan, heat oil and saute onion over medium low until translucent, 10-15 minutes. Add garlic and mushrooms and saute until tender. Turn to low.
- Remove split peas from heat, discard bay leaves and place peas in Vitamix or food processor. Puree on high speed until smooth. (I added about 1 cup of the stock to the Vitamix to help it along.)
- Combine peas, stock, kale and salt into the onion and mushroom mixture. Heat and serve.