Healthy Carrot Pumpkin Whole Wheat Muffins
makes 6 large or 10-12 regular sized muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 heaping tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground nutmeg, cloves & ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup sugar (I used turbinado sugar, which is a raw sugar, fewer calories, less processed, more moist, and adds a molasses-like taste similar to brown sugar. It can be substituted for white sugar in many recipes.)
- 3 TB canola oil (next time I'm going to substitute 2 TB applesauce and 1 TB canola oil)
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs (next time I may use 1 egg and 2 egg whites instead)
- Whisk together the flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger.
- In another bowl combine the carrots, raisins and walnuts.
- Using a mixer, combine the pumpkin, canola oil and sugar until smooth. Add eggs one at a time and beat until smooth.
- Reduce speed and slowly add in the flour mixture, only until dry ingredients disappear.
- Gently stir in carrot, walnut and raisin mixture.
- Divide into lightly greased muffin tin.
- Bake at 375 for 28-32 minutes (for jumbo muffins), or 22-25 minutes (for regular size muffins).