Barley, Kale & Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 leeks, trimmed, green parts discarded, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced>
- 2 cups butternut squash, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup barley
- 10 cups chicken or vegetable stock, plus additional stock as necessary>
- 1 – 14 ounce can Italian plum tomatoes with juice
- 1 2-inch chunk of rind of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 bay leafs
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups shredded kale leaves (from one bunch)
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Romano cheese
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add leek, garlic, onion and celery. Sauté 2 minutes.
- Add butternut squash and barley. Sauté one minute.
- Add chicken or vegetable stock, tomatoes, cheese rind, bay leafs, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer until squash is tender and barley is cooked, about 30 minutes. (Add more stock to desired consistency if soup is too thick.) Taste for seasoning.
- Stir in kale leaves; simmer until kale brights in color and just wilts, about one minute. Ladle into bowls and grate cheese over the soup. Serve immediately.