Sunday, October 30, 2011

Caramel Apple Bars

One of my favorite blogs I read daily is loveveggiesandyoga.com. She has great healthy recipes and discussion about food, but she also makes no excuses for loving and making sinful desserts! I had a bunch of apples in the fridge and ran across this recipe and knew I had to make it. Apples, caramel and chocolate all together? some of my favorite things. It is delicious! I made them and after eating 3 bars, decided I had to freeze them or else! I did share with some neighbors first too :) Here's my version adapted to what I put in mine.

Caramel Apple Bars

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (or blend 1 apple in Vitamix, which is what I did with her suggestion)
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 2 cups whole rolled oats
  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 TB cinnamon
  • 1 TB vanilla extract
  • 1 cup apples, diced and peeled
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1/3 cup raisins
  • 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/2 cup caramel sauce (ice cream topping caramel sauce works! I used Sanders')
Directions:
  1. Combine applesauce, peanut butter and butter in a large mixing bowl. Add oats, sugars, cinnamon and vanilla and stir. Fold in diced apples, white chocolate chips, raisins and walnuts. 
  2. Spread batter (very moist) into a foil lined and sprayed 8x8 or 9x9 pan.
  3. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. The bars may still look a little underdone but they will set up as they cool. They'll be bubbling rapidly. Let bubbling stop (about 5 min) and then carefully drizzle caramel sauce over top. Allow to cool completely before slicing. You might even put in freezer for 15-30 minutes to speed it along. Slice into bars. Store extras in fridge or freezer in airtight container. I divided layers with wax paper as the caramel sauce stays soft.

No comments:

Post a Comment