Thursday, March 29, 2012

PB Apple Sandwich goodness

Last month I bought a 1 week meal plan from Happy Herbivore to see how it would work for us. All vegan, with calories at 1200-1500. Well, it worked as far as helping out when I didn't have time to plan, but some of the recipes were just so-so and fairly basic. I have her cookbooks so I don't think I'd do the meal plan again, but I did discover a couple quick meal recipes I really liked. One is a light peanut butter sandwich recipe that I adapted and healthified even more. Here's my version. Sorry, no photos, I ate lunch too fast!:

Peanut Butter Apple Sandwich goodness
serves 2

Ingredients:

  • 1 organic apple - honeycrisp, fuji, empire, etc.
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 TB chia seeds
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 TB natural peanut butter
  • 2 TB Better n Peanut Butter (sold at Trader Joe's) (or make equivalent of PB2 - I bought on Amazon)
Directions:
  1. Core apple and slice/chop roughly. (I don't peel, but I do use organic). Put in food processor and pulse a few times. You don't want to make applesauce, but you want small pieces of apple.
  2. add in cinnamon, chia seeds, vanilla extract, both peanut butters
  3. pulse in food processor until well combined. If may be a little runny but will thicken up overnight. If it's really runny, add in a little more peanut butter.
  4. Spread on yummy bread! My current favorite is a sunflower seed wheat flax bread from a local bakery, Blue Apron. This makes two generous sandwiches.
  5. Refrigerate sandwich overnight. SO yummy cold, you'll be sad your lunch is over. I know I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment