I’ve made this dish a few times now – it’s a favorite from the Fresh and Fast Vegetarian cookbook. I made it again earlier this week for dinner (which also means leftovers for lunch!), and made a 2nd batch of it to take to a family friend this morning. Her son has had bacterial meningitis and taking care of him has been both a full time job and very stressful – a friend of hers set her up on foodtidings.com – and I signed up to bring them a meal today.
Roasted Veggie Bulgur Pilaf
- 3 red bell peppers, diced 1/2 inch
- 3 zucchini (I mix zucchini and summer squash) – about 6 oz each – diagonally sliced (1/4 inch)
- 2 large carrots, diagonally sliced (1/4 inch)
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges (1/4 inch)
- 4 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups coarse grain bulgur
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 TB chopped fresh mint
- 1 TB chopped fresh dill
- 1 TB chopped fresh italian parsley
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- 2 TB toasted pine nuts
- Place a heavy baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 450 for 10 minutes. I use a Pampered Chef bar pan
- Meanwhile, combine the peppers, zucchini, carrots and red onion in a bowl. Drizzle with 3 TB of the oil and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp of the salt and a generous grinding of black pepper.
- Carefully remove hot pan from the oven and spread veggies on the pan. Roast for 15 minutes in the 450 degree oven. Stir with a spatula, turning and moving them around so they’ll brown evenly. Roast until browned and tender, about 10 min more.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 TB oil in a large skillet. Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring, over medium heat until golden, about 10 min. Stir in the bulgur and raisins. Add 2 cups water and the remaining 1 tsp salt and bring to a boil. Stir once to blend. Cover and cook over low heat until the water is absorbed about 10 min.
- Add the olives, mint, dill, parsley and orange zest to the hot roasted veggies. Add half of the veggies to the bulgur and fluff with a fork. Spoon the bulgur onto plates and mound the remaining vegetables on top. Sprinkle with the nuts and serve.