Friday, May 13, 2011

Yoga away from home

I was both nervous and excited about trying out yoga somewhere new. Thad and I go to Divine Yoga in South Lyon, a Baptiste Power Yoga studio, and it's home for us. But since I'm in Florida for almost 3 weeks and I practice yoga almost every day, I thought it worth researching somewhere to go while I'm here. There's not a Baptiste studio here though. So, I read reviews, looked at websites and with the encouragement of one of my teachers, decided on one with the attitude of it being a yoga adventure.

After sitting in the car for 2 days, I jumped at the chance to go to yoga. The studio I decided to try out is beautiful inside - large room with stone walls, partially mirrored walls, black ceiling, candlelight, and black rubber floors. Very peaceful. It's also hot yoga - 95 degrees. I thought what I did already was heated yoga, but let me tell you, there is a huge difference between 90 or so and 95! I can guarantee you that I have never sweated so much in my entire life as I have these past few days! The first class I took was taught by the owner, who also runs their yoga teacher training program and was voted South Florida's best yoga teacher in January. The type of class is a bit different than the Baptiste style that I normally do and there are some poses that are new to me, but I have enjoyed it as well. I never thought I'd say that I miss working on inversions every day, but I do. I've made a lot of progress in the past few weeks with working toward headstand and handstand, having just started being able to do tripod and working toward wheel, so I hope I am not set back by not having these included in my practice for a few weeks - or else I need to do them here at my brother's house. 

I have mixed feelings about the mirrors. It was helpful in someways to be able to correct my own alignment, but at the same time I found I was feeling more self conscious about my still non-flat belly and arms that while more muscular than ever, still have some flab and skin that needs time to shrink up. Well I can do anything for a couple weeks and it's not like I know these people or really care what they think. 

Today I went to two classes actually! The first one this morning was taught by a woman, Jessica. Awesome class, I felt the most 'at home' in her class than any of the other ones I've taken this week. She just has this great fluid but powerful style. She even sang and played music during savasana at the end of class. I know that sounds terribly touchy feely spiritual, but it really wasn't - it was just beautiful. I definitely will not miss her class next Friday! The 2nd class I took while Brandon and Avery took a kids yoga class - the teacher was just okay, not very creative though. 

One thing I am getting a lot from this style of yoga is a lot of hip opening poses which I know I need, no matter how uncomfortable it may be. I do find that the warmth in the room has helped with making these types of poses, like pigeon and double pigeon, a bit easier for me. 

Well tomorrow morning I'm trying the owner's class again, this time an Advanced class. I'm ready to give it a shot in any case and expect to lose 4 lbs of sweat in 1 1/2 hours! 

p.s. Brandon and Avery loved kids yoga!

No comments:

Post a Comment