Friday, May 6, 2011

Peas, please!

Pea hummus that is! A woman at yoga earlier this week was talking about this delicious hummus, so I just had to give it a try. I loved it with both tortilla chips and sliced cucumber. It was very refreshing and super healthy too - 1 cup of peas has 8 grams of protein and 7 grams of fiber, plus lots of folate and vitamin K.

I didn't have tahini, so I took my friend's tip and soaked 2 TB of sesame seeds in water for an hour before I made the hummus and included them in the mix instead. Using a food processor keeps it with a bit of texture, but I'm sure a high powered blender would make this really smooth!

This recipe is from the May issue of Whole Living Magazine.

Pea Hummus
serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup fresh shelled peas
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
  • 2 tablespoons tahini
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 small clove minced garlic
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
  • Salt
Directions:
  1. Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Add peas; cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain; run under cold water.
  2. In food processor, pulse peas, cilantro, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and cumin 30 to 40 seconds. Season with salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment