Monday, June 4, 2012

Asian Shrimp Salad Turnip Salad

Saturday I stopped at the Brighton Farmers' Market to see Stone Coop Farm, the local organic farm where we have a CSA share this year. Our shares don't start for a couple weeks so I wanted to pick up a few things. They have a fantastic salad mix and I also got some dinosaur kale and turnip greens. I was almost ready to pay when I saw some 'salad turnips'. I asked about them and apparently they are best eaten raw, no need to even peel. I'm all about trying something new, so they came home with me too!

After searching through a lot of blogs and recipes, I came across one to base my salad on, a "CSA Salad with lime ginger dressing". I made some changes and additions, so here's my version, which made a really wonderful lunch salad! I even brought one to work for a friend to enjoy too.


Asian Shrimp Salad Turnip Salad
serves 2-3

Ingredients:

Dressing:

  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1 small thumb fresh ginger
  • Juice of 1 large lime (or about 3 TB)
  • 2 TB Bragg's Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce)
  • 1 TB toasted sesame oil (be specific on this, it has amazing flavor!)
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
Salad:
  • fresh mixed salad greens
  • 3 salad turnips (young turnips, you don't need to peel, just cut off root and greens), sliced thin and then chopped into strips with mandolin
  • 3 carrots sliced very thin with mandolin
  • 1/2 english cucumber sliced very thin with mandolin, then sliced in half
  • 3 TB black sesame seeds
  • 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
  • 8 cooked, tail-off shrimp per serving

Directions:

  1. Throw all dressing ingredients in blender or food processor and blend well.
  2. Slice and chop all veggies, mix with salad greens.
  3. Add in cooked quinoa, gently mix.
  4. Plate salad portions, drizzle with salad dressing, mix gently. 
  5. Sprinkle sesame seeds and add in shrimp on top.
  6. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Joannee DuBruhl passed this on to me (we are Stone Coop CSA members as well) and I'm really looking forward to trying this. Thanks for posting, Jackie!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete