Fresh Zucchini Tomato Herb Pasta
- 1 1/2 lb heirloom tomatoes
- 2 zucchini
- 1/2 bag pappardelle dried pasta
- 1 1/2 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 cup chopped fresh herbs (I used rosemary, thyme, oregano and italian parsley)
- 1 cup italian basil leaves, chopped/shredded
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- ricotta cheese (about 2 TB/plate)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Place tomatoes in pan for about 30 seconds, remove with slotted spoon. Allow to cool. Remove skin and chop. Set aside.
- Trim ends of zucchini. Use a vegetable peeler and shave zucchini vertically until the seeded core appears – discard core. Set shaved zucchini ribbons aside.
- Cook pappardelle pasta until al dente. Drain with cold water. Toss with 1/2 TB olive oil and zucchini shavings. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, warm 1 TB olive oil. Add onions and green bell pepper. Saute until onion is translucent. Add garlic and crushed red pepper, stir for 30 seconds – do not let garlic brown or burn.
- Add chopped tomatoes and their juice, red wine and 1 cup of fresh herbs. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce to a low simmer for about 10 minutes. Then add in the basil and turn heat off.
- Place zucchini/pasta combo on plates/in bowls. Spoon tomato sauce on top. Place ricotta cheese on top of each.